Reporting by Emily Hanford, both current and excellent:
- What's wrong with how schools teach reading.
- Suggestions regarding what to do if your child’s school is not teaching reading correctly
- See this website for more from Emily Hanford
Language at the Speed of Sight:
Literacy Statistics that Whole Phonics is dedicated to addressing:
- Two-thirds of our nations’ children do not enter the fourth grade reading at a proficient level, and 82% of those children are from low income families.
- One-third of dyslexic students become so frustrated in school that they give up and leave high school without graduating.
- Four out of five children from communities of color are not reading at a proficient level.
- Eighty-five per cent of children in juvenile detention are illiterate.
- One in four children grow up not knowing how to read at a functional level.